Planned changes to train times
Check if there are any planned engineering works that’ll affect your Great Northern journey.
Planned engineering work
- To maintain and improve the railway, Network Rail carries out regular planned engineering works on the Great Northern network
- Work normally takes place at weekends or after 10 pm – but occasionally services are impacted at other times
- Information will be available here as soon as it is available
- Additionally, services may be subject to alteration as part of our amended timetable
- Please check before travelling, and see our live departures and arrivals for up-to-the-minute information
Planning a journey or buying a ticket in advance?
Due to Coronavirus, planning engineering work is harder than usual. This means online journey planners, such as National Rail Enquiries, may only be updated with works close to when they are due to happen. To find out more simply click the date that you wish to travel on the calendar below to get the full details of planned works as well as if these works have been uploaded to online journey planners.
- The furthest date that engineering work alterations have been included in online journey planners is available here
- The furthest date Advance Fares have been released for is available here.
- Visit our Coronavirus page for current travel advice.
Check for planned engineering works affecting your journey
Engineering work for Today
18 January - 22 January 2021 11:59 PM
Great Northern between Moorgate / London Kings Cross and Welwyn Garden City, and also between London Kings Cross and CambridgeThameslink between Horsham / London Kings Cross and Peterborough, and also between London Kings Cross and Cambridge / Royston / Welwyn Garden City
Engineering work is taking place at various locations between Alexandra Palace and Stevenage via Welwyn Garden City, closing some lines each night.
Monday - Friday
Late night and early morning trains (until approximately 05:30 the following morning) will be unable to call at Arlesey. Buses will be provided to run between Biggleswade and Hitchin, calling at Arlesey.
Tuesday - Friday
Each night, trains between Welwyn Garden City and Moorgate will run between Alexandra Palace and Moorgate only.
Buses will be provided to run between Stevenage and Alexandra Palace via Welwyn Garden City.
Trains between Cambridge / Peterborough and London will be diverted via the Hertford North route.
Check before you travel:
These changes are not currently shown in the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner, please check back nearer to the time of travel.
Your journey may be subject to alteration at short notice due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Please check before your journey.
Replacement Bus Travel Advice:
For helpful advice if you need to travel on a rail replacement service, including accessibility and bicycle information, please use this page.
You can find the location of your bus replacement by checking station signs or by searching for your station on our station information pages.