Travelling outside rush hour? You can save money and still choose your train with an Off-Peak ticket
Off-Peak train tickets – Great savings, everyday
Our Off-Peak train tickets are a brilliant way to save money next time you take a trip out to the country or into the city. Not on a tight deadline? Free to pick and choose which trains you take? That’s when Off-Peak tickets make perfect sense – quieter times, lower prices and better value.
What’s so good about Off-Peak tickets?
If you’re taking the train at quieter times of the day, Off-Peak train tickets give you much better value than standard Anytime tickets. There are more benefits to going off-peak too:
- More space to grab a seat
- No need to buy in advance
- Single, Return and Open Return tickets available
- 50% discount for children aged 5-15; two kids under 5 go free with each paying adult
- 1/3 off all off-peak fares for Railcard holders
- Use your GroupSave discount when 3 or more travel together
When are Off-Peak train tickets valid?
The times you can use your Off-Peak ticket depend on where you’re going and when you’re travelling. Use the journey planner to check whether an Off-Peak ticket is available for your Great Northern journey. Off-Peak services will only show up in your search results if they are available for your journey.
Off-Peak Day Return and Off-Peak Return tickets: What’s the difference?
An Off-Peak Return ticket is for one return journey. You have to start the first leg (the ‘outward’ bit) on the date shown on your ticket. But you can take up to one month to come back – handy if you want to spend more time on the Fens or up on the Sky Garden at 20 Fenchurch Street.
With an Off-Peak Day return, you have to go out and come back on the same day.
How can I buy Off-Peak train tickets?
It couldn’t be easier to buy Off-Peak train tickets:
- Book Online – collect your tickets at the station or have them sent First Class
- On-the-go using our On Track app (iOS and Android) and collect at the station
- Ticket machines at the station, whether you’re travelling today or another day
- Station ticket offices (during opening hours)
Read the general terms and conditions for Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets. Questions about this service? Contact us.
Super Off-Peak - the weekend option
Super Off-Peak fares are available on weekends and Bank Holidays, and cost even less than Off-Peak