From 20 May 2019 buses replace trains from Monday-Friday between Stevenage and Watton-at-Stone
This is while Network Rail complete a major upgrade to Stevenage station.
To assist you on your journey and to provide the fastest possible journey, we will operate two direct bus routes:
- Between Stevenage and Watton-at-Stone
- Between Stevenage and Hertford North
Buses are timed to connect with train services, please make sure you plan ahead and check your journey at www.nationalrail.co.uk. Rail services from Watton-at-Stone and Hertford North towards London will be unaffected.
We will also have ticket acceptance in place if you would prefer to travel completely by rail, changing trains at either Alexandra Palace or Finsbury Park. More information on ticket acceptance is available at the bottom of this page.
Major upgrades at Stevenage station
We are providing rail replacement bus services while Network Rail complete a major upgrade to Stevenage station and the track that connects Stevenage with Watton-at-Stone and destinations further south on the Hertford Loop. This upgrade involves the construction of a new fifth platform at Stevenage and the track, signalling and other infrastructure required to connect it to Watton-at-Stone.
This major upgrade will mean that Great Northern can run more trains per hour between Stevenage and Watton-at-Stone. This will mean better links with other destinations on the East Coast Main Line such as Cambridge and it will help to make train services more reliable. Completion of the infrastructure is currently expected in 2020 and Great Northern expects to resume weekday train services in the Summer 2020 timetable.
May 2018 - May 2019
- As part of our improvements to the timetable, services betweenWatton-at-Stone / Hertford North and Moorgate will have doubled to two trains per hour in the off-peak – previously only one train per hour
- There is an hourly peak service all day between Watton-at-Stone and Stevenage
From 20 May 2019
- A rail replacement bus service will begin between Stevenage, Watton-at-Stone and Hertford North from Monday – Friday. There will be one train per hour along this section on Saturdays and Sundays. Rail services between Watton-at-Stone and Hertford North and onwards towards Moorgate will continue as normal
- There will be a bus service between Watton-at-Stone and Stevenage to replace the rail service between those two points and another bus service between Stevenage and Hertford North, to connect with trains to and from Moorgate, in London. Watton-at-Stone is an unstaffed station with few facilities for those with accessibility needs; Hertford North has lifts and is staffed. Passengers travelling between Hertford North and Stevenage are advised to transfer onto the rail replacement bus at Hertford North, not Watton-at Stone because the overall travel time is shorter